Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Detritus
DETRITUS 
by Various Authors
edited by Kate Jonez and S.S. Michaels
4 stars

Detritus means: waste or debris of any kind. This collection of story is not a waste at all. Out of 15 stories, I found 3 I didn't care for. I consider that a very good ratio.
So quick recap on each story.
 1. Chewed Up - Marcus is estranged from his wife Aubrey. He can't figure out why she won't talk to him. Is it his strange compulsion to collect used bubble gum? Or something more? I enjoyed this story and was surprised by the end.
 2. Shots and Cuts - A homicide detective recounts tales of gore/horror that he has collected over the years. From 2 girls, one cup on youtube, to the serial killings in Ukraine. Not one of my favorites.
 3. Ride - Man takes last ride on motorbike while world is ending. Bombs have been deployed and falling everywhere. During his ride, he stops to kill and collect hearts. I was bored.
 4. Mrs. Grainger's Animal Emporium - Young boy walks into a store and steals a stuffed rat. Old women who owns the store sends other exhibits to retrieve the rat and the boy. Basic story, seen or read this type before, knew the end before I was done reading first page.
 5. The Tick Tock Heart - When Kate's sister Meredith returns home, Kate can't take it. Kate collects clocks and feels her sister is upsetting their rhythm. Once again seen the end immediately, reminiscent of The Tell Tale Heart by Poe.
 6. Arkitekur - Mother is in the house. Is she collecting or is it the house? This one was a bit boring, but ok.
 7.Candy Lady - A story about 2 men stalking a woman. But why are they both stalking and what do they each collect. Not a bad tale, but reminds me of a Showtime show (I'm not gonna ruin the story, you will know what I mean when you read this.).
 8. Armoire - Ophelia collects Ultra dimensional creatures. One gets loose and plans revenge.
I liked this one.
 9. Shrieking Gauze - James "hears" colors. Blood screams at him. Now he collects bandages to figure out what they are saying. I didn't care for this one.
 10. The Highest and The Sweetest - A young woman gets a job babysitting for a woman who keeps having multiple children. Then becomes pregnant with multiple babies herself. I wasn't a fan of this one either, made me think of Octomom for years ago.
 11. Heroes and Villains - Ben and Paulie plan to steal a comic book purchase from their employer, and go into business for themselves. Until Ben figures why does he even need Paul. Not a bad tale, but not a new one either.
 12. Let Them Into Your Heart - Hampton collects candy wrappers for his art. But who or what is the reason behind the art? I could have passed on this one.
 13. In His Own Graven Image - Dauphin is a collector of scars. He has let himself be attacked (in a controlled environment of course) by every animal conceivable, even ones believed to be just folklore or imagined. With one spot left untouched on his entire body, he reaches for the ultimate being to scar him. I like this story, but really couldn't understand this compulsion at all.
 14. Crawling the Insect Life - Marvin collects bugs. He is divorced and has gone crazy. He has bugs, dead and alive, all over his apartment. I was a little confused by this one, but it was a fine tale.
 15. The Room Beneath The Stairs - Andy goes to visit his grandma. He asks her about the room under the stairs that she keeps locked. She gives a scary tale and reveals her own collection. Not the best in the bunch but not the worst either.
So I do recommend reading this collection. All in all , it was a great read. My 3 favorite story were Chewed Up by Jeremy C. Shipp, Candy Lady by Neil Davies, and In His Own Graven Image by Pete Clark. My 3 Least Favorites were Ride by Brent Michael Kelley, Shots and Cuts by Mary Borsellino, and Let Them Into Your Heart by Lee Widener.

No comments: