Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Water for Elephants
WATER FOR ELEPHANTS 
by Sara Gruen
5 stars

90 year old Jacob Jankowski tells his life story. While in his 20s, he joins a circus. And we flash between then and now in the nursing home.
The circus life is fascinating. I wish I could have seen the 1930 circus myself, It seems so much more thrilling and exciting then today's tent shows. Even just the thrill of seeing the colorful train cars pulling into the yard. Then the animals coming off the wagons.
Jacob is so funny and crochety as an old man. Some of his descriptions of himself made me laugh.
I loved the characters. Jacob, Marlena, and Rosie are very likable. You root for them to make it through everything. I found myself wanting either to get revenge for Rosie or to free her myself. You seeth against the 2 villains, Al and August.
The story is gripping from the first page. I didn't want to put the book down. I plan on watching the movie. I really hope they did the story justice.

No comments: